Thursday, August 21, 2008

back to school

sorry I haven't posted for a bit, my pets. I went back to school, and the first week was a lot of meetings, and getting my room ready. Yes, I have a room! It's a portable, which I've never had before, and it's awesome. I have control over the thermostat, have a private bathroom, and it's quiet (except for recess, because the playground is right outside my door). But no worries, I love it.
It feels really strange to only work 2 days a week. So I've been busy designing some more kids dresses that are historically inspired.

I couldn't find an example pattern that had the little drawstring thingys at the hem, so I made it up. It wasn't that tricky, I just wanted to make sure I could pull it off without it looking like it had a billion seams or something.
This reminds me of a recent episode of Project Runway, where one of the judges told a designer "Satin should look like no human hands have touched it, and that looks like 20 pairs of hands have been all over it". Ouch. Poor guy, the models had to buy the fabric, and every designer knows it's ALL about the fabric!!!
I would have been yelling advice about what not to get at my model as they were running out the door to go shop. I would LOVE to be a contestant on that show. Not that I went to fashion design school or anything, but it would be so amazing! You have to think outside the box. There is no box!
I once made a dress out of rafia. It was like a fishnet web of tied knots, and it was really cool. I used to make wire sculptures of the female form too, and some of them had skirts on the bottom, so they maybe could have been wearable. Painful, but wearable!
Oh, then there was the year that my husband and I went to the Groundhog Prom, which is like this crazy event in Omaha where adults can go dressed as anything they want, so I made a full length dress out of aluminum foil. It was a bit hard to sit down, but it worked. I ran out of time to make Kev an entire foil jacket, so I just covered the lapels of a suit jacket with foil, and made him a bow tie out of it. Then he had an Abe Lincoln style top hat out of foil too. It was pretty hilarious.
Halloween is just around the corner. hmmm, must start thinking....

No comments: