Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"fall" cleaning

I know it's supposed to be 'spring' cleaning, but I am always and forever trying to get organized. I hate the feeling of wanting to work on something, and I can't find that bag of pinbacks, or that rhinestone trim (had that problem yesterday), or that bit of brown lace. I think I have an extremely organized personality, and I do like things in order, but sometimes things are in a chaotic state. Add to this law of the universe the fact that I live in a small house, and that I do way more than one craft, and you've got a disaster waiting to happen.
So, for the past couple of years, I have tried various ways to get organized. For awhile these procedures may work, but then the stash gets too big and overwhelming, and I have to rethink it.
This week I decided that plastic bags of various laces and ribbons crammed into an overflowing basket was not workin' for me anymore. (Sorry I didn't take a 'before' pic). But, I was only using ONE of these baskets that slide onto a large bookcase, along with other baskets with other craft goodies in them.
Now, the laces and ribbons are all wrapped on pieces of cardboard, organized by color, of course, and pinned to stay in place. (Similar to the way they are organized in the fabric store):


Notice, also, that now the lace collection takes up TWO baskets as opposed to the orginal ONE basket. I thought it would take up less space, but it takes up more. Oh well, that's the price I have to pay I guess. But it's such a joy to look for a trim and be able to actually find it without digging for half an hour :)
So, next time I'll show you my rick rack box!
The most important thing about organization working though, is the maintenance. So just as with all of my vintage ribbon rolls, as soon as I get the lace or trim I need, I HAVE to remember to wind it back up and put the pin back in! Please leave comments of your favorite organizational tricks!! I need them!

No comments: