Wednesday, October 22, 2008

a new season


"free"
Lately I've been toying with the idea of totally revamping my life. Being sick for almost 6 weeks kind of forced me to realize that I don't have to work and create constantly. Things will be taken care of and the bills will get paid, even if I'm not a one-woman slave shop. Weird, because I really didn't know I needed a break until I took one.
I really appreciate feeling good right now, because for so long some body part was hurting. It was strange how every day or so there was a new symptom, and just as the old ones got better, the new ones perplexed me.
So, I am now taking some contemplative time to decide what it is I want to do. Make stuff, of course. But what?
I want people to look at the things I've made, and have that sense that a lot of time and thought and creativity went into this. I want them to be swept away by the adorable-ness of it all. I want to be able to have a voice that runs through everything that I do, and not list and relist stuff and make and remake stuff just to make money.
There has to be a better way. I want to actually enjoy what I make, and usually that doesn't happen if I make more than 2 or 3. Sometimes only one.
So I now commit to myself to try and find a new path, where I reach back into my childhood imagination and believe that anything is possible, and remember all the small but very important things that I loved.
Small things, scraps, buttons, thread, old things, aqua things, ribbon, patterns, dolls, fabric, paper, photography. I will add to this list of things I'm intrigued by to get my mind rolling a little more.
Do yourself a favor today. Slow down, take a breath. Make a list of things that make you happy. Sometimes it's a little scary when we don't even know or remember these things.
Sometimes we just need to turn over a new leaf, and be excited about a new direction.
Who knows, maybe I'll start a whole new line of something, or open a new shop. ??? Ok, two shops is enough for now, but I do need to get more bloomers finished in different colors, and get them photographed! I think I've been procrastinating because I know I'll have to be my own model, which is a hassle and a little unnerving sometimes. It's so much easier when I can throw something on Madame Coco (mannequin), like skirts and dresses~ Of course there's no better model than little sweet Bailey:


these bloomers are from the same fabric line that the ABC dress is from, Holly Holderman. I think these are probably some of my all time favorite prints! Too bad they discontinue fabric lines after awhile :(

now back to the sewing machine!

2 comments:

counselor kristal said...

How fun! That necklace is very cute.

I wish I could have made it to the meeting last week. : /

<3

kristal @ www.aksarbenlove.com

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

i love that... your thoughts!
thanks for the great insight... the nudge!

and super BIG blessings for your new avenues... adventures... sounds like fun... why not!