today we got our first snow day of the year, and I've been in a reminiscing mood lately, so I figured today is as good a day as any to journal how 2010 was.
I've been thinking a lot lately about creativity, and how it gets stifled. I don't know about anyone else, but I always seem to have a constant flow of ideas and things I want to do/make.
The one word I can say about 2010: BUSY
4 (four) fashion shows, in January, end of March, the BIG one in September, and then one small one in November.
Also a challenging year as a parent. Not that my girl is naughty, but 17 is a time when she is separating herself from me, emotionally and physically, and it's hard as a control freak/ overprotective parent to let my baby bird fly.
Also my work life changed a bit; went from teaching 2 days a week and working at home the rest of the time, back to full time teaching in August. I think it's a good change (I did not have a choice to my districts' cutbacks, it was either full time or be laid off). But I think it was for the best. It's a lot easier to do my art/ sewing on the side, rather than have it be the main source of income. Soooooo, today I'm actually getting paid for being at home! Before if it was a snow day on one of my work days, I did not get paid.
I'm trying to think of a positive word or mantra for 2011, but haven't really nailed one down yet. I'm not really a resolution person, but my goals for this year are:
1. being less controlling, and letting things flow more.
2. get healthier (been working on this for a few months, but want to kick it into high gear a bit)
3. make more time for me in general; art, sewing projects, family - not just what do I need to do for financial stuff.
4. spend more time working on the house and the yard (due to summer school and planning for the show last year, I did not even plant one flower!)
5. draw closer to God, as I'm realizing more and more every year that life is challenging, and I cannot and do not want to go through it without His guidance.
6. finally return to classes and start my graduate program (so a few classes this summer!)
7. continue to be the best mom I can be, and roll with the punches, and change my parenting style as needed. And be loving and calm while doing it.
but for today, hang out inside and putter around the house, do laundry, make some art, clean a little, and be grateful for the snow :)